08 May Preparation Checklist For New Students
Before Beginning Classes
1. Send in high school or post-secondary transcript. Transcripts can be mailed, faxed, emailed or dropped off in person.
2. Pay your registration fee to secure your seat. Registration for Hair Design and Esthetics is $300.00. Registration for Makeup Artistry and Lash Technician is $140.00. This amount is deducted from the total tuition and is non-refundable. While there is no due date for the registration fee, seats are reserved on a first come first serve basis. Given that we fill up with each intake, it is strongly encouraged to pay your registration fee as soon as possible.
3. Secure funding. Please refer to HDC Student Loan Quick Guide for assistance if needed.
4. Make arrangements in your personal life for your new journey. Examples: adjust work schedules, research child care options, familiarize yourself with public transit, etc.
5. Ensure payments are received on or before the first day of class.
6. Apply for the HDC Bursary Program. https://hairdesigncentre.com/school/apply/
7. School supplies. All that is required is a 3” binder, paper, pens and highlighters. All other necessary equipment is included in your student kit.
8. Check out the HDC Blog for additional information and inspiration from our staff, students and alumni: https://hairdesigncentre.com/blog/
|Additional information and resources can be found on our website: https://hairdesigncentre.com/school/ . Be sure to click on your specific program for more details.|
For Students Moving to Halifax to Attend HDC
There are ample housing options in the area with many students opting for apartment living or room rentals. HDC is found in the Clayton Park area of Halifax. Other areas that are reasonably close to HDC are Fairview, Larry Uteck, Bedford, North End Halifax/Hydrostone, and Northwest Arm.
There are two bus stops and a bus terminal within walking distance to HDC. The 52 and 42 buses can be used at the Lacewood McDonald’s stop (Two-minute walk). The 17, 4, 21, 2, 18, 34, and 33 buses can used at the Willett St bus stop (Three-minute walk). Most bus lines in the city will go to and from Lacewood Terminal with transfers (Ten-minute walk). Additional information regarding bus routes can be found here: goo.gl/dYS6Wz
Many of our students have found living arrangements through Kijiji and rental companies such as Killam Properties and Timbercreek Communities. Our leasing agent(s) with Killam is Vicki Kaiser (vkaiser@KillamREIT.com/ 902-442-5005) and Timbercreek are Sheila Eldridge (email@example.com / 902-449-5510) and Michelle Cooper (firstname.lastname@example.org /902-402-0187). Please contact our agents for assistance in finding living arrangements.
DOWNLOAD OUR FREE CAREER GUIDE
Picking a career can be overwhelming.
Not only do you need to consider your passion and skills; you also need to look at the long-term implications for your life. In our latest guide, we show you what goes into building and sustaining a successful career in hair design. From finances to security—we give you an unfiltered view behind the scenes.
We’ve put together this guide to explain why more millennials are choosing a career in hair design than ever before and to reveal the benefits you can expect if you choose this career.